Congratulations Jessica Higdon, from North Charleston high school! Ms. Higdon used the lesson Critically Analyze and Understand Primary/ Secondary Resources using FDR’s 1933...
Engaging Families and Communities to Support Literacy
Read a good book (or blog) lately? Thank a teacher, right? Or more likely thank several teachers, plus your family and even your community! As the S.C. Read To Succeed Act (R2S) recognizes, multi-educator, family, and community support are all important for literacy development. Indeed, R2S prescribes districts take steps to further engage each group to boost student literacy achievement.
While schools are natural partners with families and communities, it can sometimes be challenging to get everyone connected. To that end, PBS TeacherLine offers its (aptly named) online course, “Connecting Family, Community and Schools”!
In the course, learners will master strategies to increase family and community involvement in their schools - examining the "connection" issues, acquiring tools to integrate partnership programming into their curriculum, and developing a plan that involves parents, family members, and community resources in their own classroom.
As PBS notes, "When families, community, and school staff work together to support student learning, the results are powerful! Effective collaboration among these groups can yield results that mutually support each segment of the education community -- especially the students".
The course offers 40 SC Renewal Credits (or 2 Graduate Credits for an additional fee) and upcoming start dates include June 15, 2016, and July 13, 2016.
Other upcoming courses offered by PBS TeacherLine include:
- INST120 Digital Lesson Planning for Differing Learning Styles
- RDLA152 (Revised & updated) An Introduction to Underlying Principles and Research for Effective Literacy Instruction
- RDLA192 (Revised & updated) Improving Reading Comprehension
- MATH512 Achieving Learning Goals through Accomplished Mathematics Instruction
- TECH340 Evaluating and Organizing Internet Resources and Content
- SOST507 America's History in the Making: A Special Collection from Annenberg Learner
- SCIE564 Structure of the Earth System - STEM Professional Development from WGBH
Questions? Review our FAQs at teacherlinesoutheast.org/faq.htm or call ETV at 1-800-277-0829.