Lemon Coconut Crumb Bar
01/12/2016 in: Home & How To
By S. Flynn
Clemson Extension Agent and Host of "Making It Grow" is joined in the studio by Samantha McDowell from The Clemson Food Safety & Nutrition Team who will show us who to make a dessert with coconut oil.
Yield: 12-16 bars
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp coconut extract
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut, plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 3/4 cup lemon curd
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a bowl, cream coconut oil and sugars on high speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add the egg, vanilla extract, and coconut extract. Mix well. With the mixer on low, slowly add in the flour mixture. Mix until combined, the dough will be crumbly. Stir in the 3/4 cup coconut.
- Stir lemon curd to loosen it up. Gently press half of dough into bottom of prepared baking dish. Evenly spread the lemon curd over dough. Sprinkle remaining dough over the top, making sure you cover the entire bars. Press gently to form the top layer. Sprinkle the additional coconut over the bars.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Cool completely and cut into squares.